Vanessa and Papaw Big Adventure (New York and Washington DC)

Vanessa, still asleep and it is 10:00am but I am going to let her sleep in.

We arrived in Washington DC last night on Amtrack about 9:00pm and took the metro from the train station over to Alexandra VA. We took the (Blue Line), not the Red line but it could have just as easily been us in the big commuter crash in Washington. Life is timing. But when we got into the station in Alexandria it was about 10:30pm. We called the hotel and the desk clerk said the driver is off at 10:00. I ask how far it was to the hotel and he said just a couple of blocks. So we set off walking. But totally lost. No problem right? I have my handy dandy new GPS. So I pull it out and the battery is completely dead. It is dark, we are tired and totally lost. So we see a tow truck driver dropping off a car and I ask him where the hotel is. His answer was the same as the desk clerk, it is at the top of the hill. He also added that we should not walk in the street because it is very dangerous due to the speed of the traffic. Stay on the walkway which was a wooden plank sidewalk with railing on both sides. As we continued up the hill we see a huge dead animal (Most likely a dear or human body, not sure which) laying in the middle of the walkway. Vanessa just turns around and starts heading in the oppasite direction as fast as she could go. There was no way she was going to walk over this dead body and you know I can not blame her as I could smell it a half a block away.

As we were heading back to the metro station to catch a cab the tow truck driver pulls up and confused ask us why we were heading back. As I explained the dead animal he offered to drive us to the hotel. He had his wife stand on the corner and he packed our luggage on the back of the truck and packed Vanessa and me into the cab. It was only about a city block to the hotel but I was so appreciative of his generosity and kindness. I was further amazed that he would leave his wife standing on the corner while he drove us to the hotel. He could have easily just went on. Oh did I mention that it seemed to be about 100 degrees outside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEST VIRGINIA DEATH SPIRAL

STIRRING THE POT

WARNING - THIS IS MY SITE, MY OPINIONS, MY VIEWS, AND MY THOUGHTS