So Lets Do the Movie Numbers....

Warning, this is another one of my rants so read on if you dare.

Tonight I took the very rare opportunity to take in a movie. I say rare since over the past year family obligations have left little time for such activities. But I was in the mood and decided to go see Will Smith in "I am Legend" First let me say that the movie was not bad and the effects were nice but it just seemed to me that I have seen this story before. Come on does someone remember the movie where a scientist crashes in a helicopter and injects himself with an antivirus. Then he holds up in a fortified house in New York. I also seem to think those zombies only came out at night. I just keep saying -- I have seen this story before.

OK, so that is enough of the movie review. Let me get back to the rant while it is still fresh in my mind. The movie had just come out and it was Saturday Night in Huntington West Virginia. So where do you expect everyone to be. At the movies right. Well if that hand only came into my mind earlier I would be writing about something different. I plunked down my $8.00 for my ticket. It is 10 minutes before time for the movie to start. I ask the ticket person "all of eighteen years of age" if she has a headset for the hearing impaired. I am one like many adults who suffer from severe hearing loss and headsets help in some movies. Well the ticket girl got that glazed over look. You know the kind of look that a dear has in your headlights just before your car plows into him. Well another ticket girl jolted my ticket girl out of her trance and told her the headsets were in the closet behind the ticket counter. The girl started fumbling around in the closet while the crowd of people in line started looking at me like I was asking for the secret to eternal youth or something.

When she returned I ask her if they were charged up. She replied yes. I ask how she knew and once again there was that glazed look. So I just took them and she took my drivers licence to be held ransom for the return of the headsets after the movie.

So now my adventure continues as I enter the lobby of the multi-plex theater. I immediately notice that the establishment was ill prepared for the Saturday Night crowed. Most of the lines were so long that if you waited in them for your over priced popcorn, candy and a drink you would most like be getting to your seat only to enjoy the treats while watching the closing credits.

I chose not to be a sheep and stand in line. I decided to save my money for later and get a good treat and a fraction of the price on the way home. This proved to be one of the best decisions of the night.

Once I made it through the crowd and in the theater I found that there was probably three seats not taken in the entire theater. Also the temperature had to be 90 degrees. It hit me like a sonna. Hot humid air floating around like a stagnate seas pool. Each time I ask if the seat was open I got a reply that it was saved for someone, anyone but me. So I went for one of the movie staff to assist. This worked since when she ask if the seat was taken "the same seat I ask about" magically it was free. So I took my seat after the lady beside me unloaded her coat, purse, umbrella, Christmas Presents, Cell Phone, Popcorn, and drink from the seat. OK, note for those who are carrying half of the stores with you to the movie, buy an extra ticket for your stuff.

So once seated I immediately found out the headsets were not charged and not working. No real loss since the volume was loud enough to be heard on mars. But I also fully expected that the glazed over teen girl was thinking of some hip hop song or anything other than my headsets when I plucked them from her hand.

Now as soon as the movie begins the man behind me starts giving a play by play commentary about everything going on, what is going to happen next and how it would be funny if this happened. This continued with the girl he was with giggling and egging him on for more. If they were at home I would turned off the move and ask them politely to SHUT UP. But I kept turning around and looking at him. You would think this hint would have worked but then he just started kicking my chair while continuing with the commentary.

I was relieved that the movie was over. But when I went back to the ticket counter it was closed. So where is my drivers licence and what do I do with these dead headsets that did not work. I ask the employee who was working at cleaning up behind the snack counter and got that same glazed look. You know the same one the girl had when I ask her for the headsets. It must have something to do with the word "headsets". More research may be needed. But after another employee came to the rescue and then called the manager who got yet another employee to open the secret place where my licence was being held. We exchanged items and I left the theater. As I walked to the care I was thinking where was the enjoyment that I expected.

So Lets Do the Numbers:

MOVIE TICKET - $8.00
POPCORN SMALL BAG - $2.75
DRINK - Small - $3.50
BOX OF CANDY - $4.50
PARKING - Pullman Square - $1.00
Total Cost for one person to go to the movies in Huntington WV - $19.75

MOVIE RENTAL - $3.50
POPCORN AT HOME - BAG - $. 50
DRINK at HOME - $1.00
HOME MADE FUDGE - $.50
PARKING - Free
Total Cost for one person to watch a rented movie at home - $5.50

PURCHASE MOVIE - $19.95
POPCORN AT HOME - BAG - $.50
DRINK at Home - $1.00
HOME MADE FUDGE - $.50
PARKING - FREE
Total Cost for one person to watch a purchased movie at home - $21.95

Cost per person goes down as more come over to your house to watch the movie. Drinks and snacks my even become free. If the friend is more than a friend then fringe benefits of the move at home - Priceless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEST VIRGINIA DEATH SPIRAL

STIRRING THE POT

WARNING - THIS IS MY SITE, MY OPINIONS, MY VIEWS, AND MY THOUGHTS